Wednesday, October 24, 2012

One of the Original Weight Watchers...My Momma's Touch ...and other Plus Sized Ponderings from my Perspective

Okay...so here is what I know about this topic...
One of my most "frequent blog clickers" from Mtn View-ville (btw...the region they are from includes the phrase "View"..so I really think it fits this one to a tee...LOL!.....)
Anywhooooo...this one has elsewhere seemingly  appointed herself as a "plus sized" advocate....and makes some nice things ( imo ) for that market....but I really think that one of the reasons her items haven't really taken off yet is because of the "story" presented by her.....
and since none of ya'll know who I am really talking about....but yes...she will absolutely know that this "mention" is  about her....and yet at the same time the post is also a Hollah to my momz RIP Linda Darlene....:=)....
it's all good.
My thing is this.....if your story is that "You used to be"  plus sized.. and talk about a 100 pound weight loss...it is not really a good idea to post your "today pic" where you are hiding behind a 1-25 thousand pound statue with basically your "head" poking out from the side.... and maybe if you are someone who might have weighed over say 300 lbs before losing 100.....you might indeed be a bit shy about showing off your new bod...... but when you make the statement that you "used to be plus size"...obviously you are saying to your "buyers" that you are no longer a plus sized woman....which by the way is nothing to be ashamed of in the first place so why not try hopping your arse out from behind that huge statue?  To me..this might indeed bring you more sales and followers if they might think they could actually trust the story you are trying to portray here.....

And my background on this subject would in fact be...(and of course this is only my own experience)....
my momma struggled with weight for as long as I can remember....but in my minds' eye...she was always so beautiful to me.....her smile and laughter lit up the room whenever she entered and it didn't matter whether or not she weighed 120 lbs or when she weighed 227 lbs.----and she was 5' 5"......and a fiery bundle indeed.....she indeed always always was my beautiful Momma and I was ALWAYS so proud of her no matter how much she weighed....
So don't get me wrong here.....I am not bagging on the plus size issue and never would (once in awhile I have been known to question the "politically correct" terms on this subject tho)......
Anyhoooo..... 
My mom in her adult life time probably tried just about every popular diet out there.....
and the first time she was extremely overweight and started worrying about her health and longevity....along came this little ole "new diet" called "Weight Watchers".....and way back in the early 70's my mom was actually the first person in Kern County California to lose over 100 pounds on the Weight Watchers' diet.....
here she is in a Weight Watchers' Fashion Show back in the day.....

and (from my experience).....most people who lose 100 lbs. are indeed very loud and proud in sporting their new figure that they worked so hard at achieving :=) ...
okay...so the rest of her life after that was still a struggle with ups and downs and many more diets....and after the age of 60 when her doctors felt that the bariatric approach was the way to go....Mom did that procedure and once again lost 100 lbs......
here she is enjoying herself as she did in many of her last years out on the boat...this one is with her and my son at Catalina where Mom and Dad  stayed at the "slip" on weekends for many years.....(after she came through and conquered so many complications including learning  how to walk again after that surgery she was in intensive care for over 6 months in hospitals in San Diego and Bakersfield).......

But with her fiery spirit and love of life and family...she came through that obstacle...and was then pretty much a "senior poster child for bariatric surgery"....

so I guess my post and thoughts here is basically about this.....
if you have lost weight (and of course have obviously worked very hard to do so) .....
don't hide behind a freaking huge arse statue and expect people to actually embrace your accomplishment.....be proud of what you have done and show it!
If you have lost over 100 lbs.....it doesn't matter if you still weigh 200 lbs or 500 lbs.....hop out from behind that statue and be proud of what you have done......you don't need to hide because you have done something truly amazing......
and if you are "hiding"....some might truly feel that your "story" might perhaps be a "spun one"...
that's just my in-put here :=)....
and I think this last pic might even explain a bit about why I love vintage so much.....my 1972 Momma....the orange dress....the shag carpet...the wall paneling...the green door....

Hollah Linda Darlene!  You were always so beautiful!  Hollah Vintage! And Hollah as well to all of us women of the world.....love yourself.....don't hide behind anything.....you are all beautiful and don't ever ever pretend or think that you aren't ! No matter what you look like....you will always have someone in your life who knows that you are indeed beautiful...no matter what.
And that's my life story and I'm stickin'  to it :=)
This orange dress is a pretty good Fall choice tho..don't ya think :=)

No comments:

Post a Comment