Wednesday, December 14, 2011

MamMaws sage Advice about Being NICE

My MamMaw always gave me that sage advice
"If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all."
And seriously......
I think that is some very good advice because you simply don't want to get caught up in the negativity of any situation.
Back in the day when some of my friends would  have "bad" comments or negative snipes bad-mouthing others  ....I'd be the first one to jump in and say things like
"NOW Quit it all right already cuz ...I frowners on Debbie Downers!!!"......
(And these days I simply don't hang out with peeps who still have that type of "high school mentality")
But in retrospect about my MamMaw  teaching me
that if I didn't have anything nice to say to not say anything at all-----
I honestly don't think she was talking about the rules regarding others who have already crossed the line...who weren't nice to you and didn't give you that same respect in the 1st place...etc etc......and I know in my life long journey that 2 wrongs definitely do not make a right----but sometimes you just have to take a stand and set the record straight and maybe what you have to say isn't exactly nice but it is just what you are saying regarding the experience of the cards you have already been dealt with....
and sometimes I really think that even if you don't have something nice to say----if it is because someone else did not follow that same type of etiquette ...
then you really owe that person nothing other than to try to be as respectful as you possibly can depending on the situation at hand and how they treated you in the first place :)
Bottom line....I think that if someone is not nice to you then you don't owe them that same type of respect..sometimes I still choose another one of something MamMaw taught me --to "Kill them with kindness"     
LOL!  But sometimes simply standing up and letting them know that their behavior is one that is not acceptable and never will be is a much better option even if you have to be negative about it.
And that's just my ramblin' for this lovely eve :)


No comments:

Post a Comment